We represent the victims of personal injury or loss caused by:
- Motor-vehicle collisions;
- Bicycle accidents;
- Defective products;
- Unsafe premises;
- Dog bites;
- Invasion of privacy/improper release of medical records;
- Other events and situations resulting in significant injury or loss.
If you have been injured, you need to know that insurance companies like to settle claims quickly and cheaply before you get an attorney to help you understand your rights and how much your case may be worth.
Insurance company representatives (usually called “adjusters”) typically seem friendly and sympathetic. However, please remember that it is not the job of an adjuster to protect your interests; the adjuster’s job is to protect the insurance company’s interests. Insurance adjusters are generally familiar with the law of personal injury and will use that knowledge to their advantage. We can help level the playing field.
Call (608) 238-2728 or email us at Clausen & Severson for a free evaluation of your case, including a discussion of the nature of the claims available to you, their potential value, the risks and benefits of settlement, and the risks and benefits of trial.
Chances you may be taking by proceeding without a lawyer include:
- Failing to understand the full range of claims available to you;
- Failing to satisfy lienholders (typically health-insurance carriers that have paid medical bills resulting from your injury);
- Settling too soon or too cheaply, or both;
- Missing deadlines, including deadlines for filing a “notice of claim” in cases targeting governmental units and their employees, and deadlines for filing suit (statutes of limitation). From time to time, we have the unpleasant experience of telling callers that while it appears they had legitimate claims worth pursuing, they waited too long, and as a result, their claims are barred.
If we believe your case has merit and you retain us to pursue it, we charge a contingent fee, typically one-third, plus costs. Some case settle, but when appropriate, we try cases to juries. If your case does not produce a financial recovery for you, we charge no fee.
If we decline to represent you because your claim involves an area of law with which we are not familiar, we will attempt to refer you to an attorney with the appropriate background.