I have litigated civil cases across Wisconsin, in both the state and federal court systems. I have appeared before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
I was born and raised in Massachusetts, the middle son of an academic, Wendell Clausen, and Corinna Clausen. My father grew up on a farm in southern Oregon, where his father, my grandfather, died young in a farm accident. Our daughter, an artist, has produced a painting based on this piece of family history.
I enjoy sailing, hiking and bicycling, but do little of the first two. I am a lousy gardener. In decent weather, Liz and I bike in Dane County, which is full of beautiful, quiet country roads. We also bike to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and we invite you to join us in that effort.
- Wisconsin State Bar
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Assistant District Attorney, Wood County, Wisconsin, 1981 – 1984
- Trial counsel for Wausau Insurance and its successors, 1985 – 2001
- Partner, Clausen & Severson, 2001 – present
- Washington University, St. Louis, MO (B.A., 1976)
- Emory University, Atlanta, GA (J.D., 1980)
- Personal injury
- Worker’s compensation
- Civil rights
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- Wisconsin Association of Worker’s Compensation Attorneys
- Wisconsin Association for Justice (formerly the Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers)
- WAJ Worker’s Compensation Committee